Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Pretzel bites fun with FunBites cube it!

Okay, so this isn’t really a lunch, but it sure was a yummy snack! ♥

Lately my family has been on a HUGE pretzel kick! For serious… they want me to make them like every single day. Salted pretzels, cinnamon sugar pretzels, pretzel dogs, you name it! If it involves pretzel dough they want it! A couple of weeks ago we made some Minnie and Mickey shaped pretzels. I did include those in a lunch, but I’ll save that one for a rainy day!  ♥

Once again, today my tiny princesses asked for pretzels. “Ugh! Really, girls? Do I really have to make them again?” “Please, mama!” “Oh, alright! Go get the supplies!” (They know I can’t resist their cute little princess faces!)

Now, I really don’t mind making these pretzels. It’s not that hard at all. BUT, I hate rolling out the dough into the looooooong thin pieces to form the pretzels. Today I had an idea! FunBites! How incredibly fun would bite sized pretzels be? And so much easier than the traditional pretzel shape!

So, we gathered up what we needed and got started!

IMG_7873

Pretzel dough ingredients…

2 cups hot water
1 tablespoon sugar
1 envelope active dry yeast
5 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon salt
1 egg, beaten
melted butter (optional)

We used coarse salt for our topping this time, but we also LOVE to use cinnamon sugar!

We use our bread maker for mixing the dough. You most certainly do not need a  bread maker to make these pretzels. It’s just what we do. ♥

Dissolve sugar in hot water and add yeast. Let sit about 5 minutes. In separate bowl combine flour and salt. Slowly add flour/salt mixture to liquid mixture. Turn bread maker to dough setting and begin cycle. My bread maker mixes the dough for 30 minutes and then lets dough rise for an hour. Sometimes I let this go the full hour, but if you are using rapid rise yeast the full hour is not generally needed. When dough is about twice it’s size you can go ahead and shape your pretzels how you would like them. In this case we chose to roll our dough out with a rolling pin and use our FunBites Cube It cutter to create awesome bite sized pretzels pieces. Yum! Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Spread your pretzel bite pieces on a greased baking sheet, brush them with beaten egg, and sprinkle on salt. If you are using cinnamon sugar skip last step. Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and brush with melted butter. If you option for the sweet version now is the time to sprinkle on your cinnamon sugar! ♥

We also LOVE to mix an 8oz brick of softened cream cheese and 1 cup of powdered sugar with an electric mixer for a mouth watering pretzel dip. Sweet or savory pretzels it doesn’t matter! This dip is mouth watering and a must when we make our pretzels! Sooooo good!!

IMG_7917

I didn’t really need to, but I decided to go ahead and arrange the girls pretzel bite snack in our LunchBots Duo for an alternate view. Aren’t they cute? Any they were so yummy too! Now, I almost can’t wait until the next time the girls ask me to make pretzels! ♥♥

IMG_7881

Funbites make everything more fun!

IMG_7892

 

siggy_thumb[2]

Some things I used to make this snack

4 comments: